Hawaiian Gingered Beef Stew
1 ½-2 lbs stew meat
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
2 T olive oil
4 medium carrots, sliced into thin rounds
3 large sweet potatoes, cubed into ½” pieces
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
6 pieces of peeled ginger, about 2 x .25 (like fat French fries)
1 can beef broth
1 can tomato sauce
1 T chopped garlic
½ tsp dried ground marjoram or thyme
About 2 ½ hours before you want to eat.
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add the beef and stir (or shake if you use a Tupperware) to coat.
- Remove beef and shake free of excess flour.
- Heat oil in a large oven proof pot w/ a lid. Add the beef and stir ‘till browned on all sides.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Place in oven for 2 hours, covered, stirring occasionally. Before serving, fish out the ginger pieces because while they impart an absolutely divine flavor to the rest of the stew they are yucky to bite right into.
About 8.5 – 10.5 hours before you want to eat - instead of browning beef in ovenproof pot, use a skillet and transfer to slow cooker, add all the other ingredients here as well. Cook on low for 8-10 hours stirring occasionally